I wrote this post back in 2014 but it gives an insight into the trials and tribulations experienced when working with different hardware. Enjoy!
The initial pilot in May 2012 saw me using the Nintendo WiiMote. My intention for this PhD was to build a low-cost game that used a gesture-based device to interact with mathematical activities in a three-dimensional environment.
The trials and tribulations of using a MicroSoft Windows 7 machine saw me buy several different Bluetooth devices and install several different drivers before eventually trying to overcome this incapability by using the PlayStation 3 itself and its own Software Development Kit on the Move.Me via the PlayStation Network. In plain terms, I needed a PlayStation to connect to my laptop where the game was being connected. I tried to use the PlayStation as part of two investigations in schools. This was sufficient to test the feasibility of using such a device. Unfortunately networking issues in the schools (not allowing me to view an IP Address to connect to the game) meant that I couldn't communicate with the game. For those technies out there, it meant that the TCP and UDP packets were not communicating via the PlayStation because of the network.
The solution to all of this meant the introduction of a stable computer, an apple MacBook. I've used one previously when testing the game. It worked the first time I used it and the Bluetooth 4.0 technology on apple devices is stable enough that there's no need to install any external devices or connect to other Bluetooth stacks. This also meant that I could connect the MacBook directly to the WiiMote via Bluetooth.
In conclusion, after trying several different versions of Bluetooth on Windows before adopting the PlayStation 3 itself, I reverted back to the original solution by connecting a laptop directly to the WiiMote.
Comments are closed.